Department of Molecular, Cellular and
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0347
Telephone 303-735-1864, Fax 303-492-7744
1964 B.A. (Honors), Indiana University, Bloomington,
1967 Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois
1967-69 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Illinois,
Professional Societies and Some Activities
- National Academy of Sciences.
- American Society for Microbiology.
- American Society of Biological Chemists; Editorial Board of "The Journal of Biological Chemistry,"1980-84.
- National Speleological Society, Fellow; Bicking Award, 1987
- NRC/Space Science Board Committee on Planetary Biology and Chemical Evolution, 1985- 1989.
- Space Science Board Mars Rover/Sample Return Advisory Committee, 1987-88.
- Office of Technology Assessment Human Genome Mapping Review Board, 1987-88.
- Co-Chairman, 1988 Gordon Conference on Nucleic Acids.
- Co-Organizer, 1989 Cold Spring Harbor Meeting on RNA Processing.
- Canadian Institute for Advanced Research, Program Associate, 1993-
- NRC/Space Studies Board Committee on Planetary and Lunar Exploration, 1989-1995.
- Co-Organizer RNA '96, 1996 RNA Society Meeting
- Editorial Board, "RNA," the Journal of The RNA Society, 1995 -
- Board of Scientific Counselors, National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, 1994-
- Editorial Board, “Environmental Microbiology”, 1998 -
- Scientific Advisory Council, Paratuberculosis Awareness and Research Association (PARA), 2000-
- Board of Directors, Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI), 2000-
- NRC/Space Studies Board Committee on Origin and Evolution of Life, 1999-
Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of
- 1991, Member, National Academy of Sciences.
- 1991, Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- 1995, Fellow American Academy of Microbiology.
- 1996, Procter and Gamble Award in Applied and Environmental
Microbiology (American Society for Microbiology).
- 1997, D. Sc. (Honorary), University of British Columbia.
- 2001, Selman A. Waksman Award in Microbiology (National
Academy of Sciences).
- 2001, Fellow, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- 2007, Abbott-American Society for Microbiology Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2008, RNA Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2008, International Society of Microbial Ecology Tiedje Award for Lifetime Achievement
- 1984-08 Principal Investigator, USPHS Grant GM 34527;
MERIT Award, 1993
- 2000-03 Principal Investigator, NSF Grant FRS153-3280
- 2000-03 Investigator, NASA Astrobiology Institute
- 2006-present Principal Investigator, Sloan Foundation Grant